NEW! Wine Tour to Madeira
Five Day Wine Tour to Madeira 25th – 29th June 2019
Come and explore one of the most unusual and exotic wine growing regions in the world in the expert company of a Master of Wine. Taste the different styles of Madeira’s famous fortified wines, including some matured in cellars for decades. Discover the gastronomy, history and architecture of the beautiful city of Funchal. Enjoy the spectacular mountainous scenery and rugged terrain of this volcanic island situated in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
This tour comprises five days (four nights) of visits, tastings, lunches and dinners, at some of the most best wine properties and restaurants on the island. We will be based at the five-star Quintinha Sao Joao hotel in Funchal, which boasts indoor and outdoor pools, a gym, spa treatments, a games room, two bars and a fine dining restaurant. The 42 rooms and suites all have air conditioning, cable TV and free wi-fi.
As well as tour organiser and wine educator Christos Ioannou, owner of Criterion Wine, the tour will be led by Master of Wine Nancy Gilchrist. Nancy is a Judge at Decanter World Wine Awards and, with Stephen Spurrier, has just set up Académie du Vin in London. She became an MW in 1995 and, even now, this elite band comprises just 379 MWs worldwide.
The itinerary includes
- A trip to the Institute of Madeira Wine where we will learn about the history and current practices of the Madeira wine industry and taste a couple of wines;
- A Tasting at Borges Wine Company
- Tasting at another producer Pereira D’Oliveira.
- Tour and tasting at family producer Vinhos Barbeito
- A visit to one of the most famous Madeira producers Henriques & Henriques.
- A tour of the winery and exhibition and a tasting of ‘table’ and fortified wines at Madeira Wine Company, whose brands include Blandy’s and Cossart Gordon.
The Price of £1,250 per person, includes
- Group transport to/from Funchal Airport and our hotel
- All ground transportation mentioned in the itinerary.
- Four nights with breakfast in the 5-star Quintinha Sao Jao in a standard en-suite double or twin room.
- Welcome dinner with wine plus three lunches with wine.
- Tours and tastings at five Madeira producers
- Services of Master of Wine Nancy Gilchrist as Wine Guide
- Services of Christos Ioannou of Criterion Wine Tours as tour leader
- Single occupancy of a double/twin room (limited number of single rooms available): £200
- Upgrade to a Junior Suite (2 rooms available) £75 per person, only available for 2 people sharing a twin or double room
A non-refundable deposit of £312.50 per person is payable when booking. The remaining balance is due eight weeks before the start of the tour. Your money will be held in a secure Client Deposit Account and is therefore fully protected.
Travel to/from Madeira is not included so you will need to book your own flights. These are the suggested flights:
- Tuesday 25th June BA 2784 departs London Gatwick 14.25, arrives Funchal 18.15
- Saturday 29th June BA 2781 departs Funchal 14.00 arrives London Gatwick 17.35
Please e-mail us as soon as possible to register your interest in this tour, receive a full itinerary and request a booking form.
Please Note : Hertfordshire Wine School is acting as an Agent for Criterion Wine Limited. The contract for the tour is between you and Criterion Wine Limited. For Terms & Conditions - please see the Booking Form.
Payment will be made to Criterion Wine Limited in accordance with the conditions on their Booking Form.