The Wines of England (Harpenden)
English Wine is on the rise. There are now more than 500 working vineyards across the country, producing more than 5 million bottles each year of red, white and sparkling wine - a figure that is set to double in the next few years. Many of our leading producers make wines which, in blind taste tests, rival those produced in Champagne and other more established wine regions. Here are some other facts that might surprise you:
- Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are the most grown grape varieties
- Sparkling wine is the most produced style, accounting for two-thirds of the total
- Between 2000 and 2014 English sparkling wines won nine trophies for ‘Best International Sparkling Wine’ and six trophies for ‘Best Sparkling Rose’ in global competitions – more than any other country.
- The largest single vineyard is Denbies and the largest estate is Nyetimber
- The most northerly commercial vineyard is Yorkshire Heart Vineyard, near York
- 2018 was the best ever year for English wine in terms of quality and quantity
To find out more and taste a selection of at least seven different English wines - sparkling, white, rose and red - including one from a local vineyard, join us in Harpenden on Thursday 16 January.
This tasting also makes a great gift voucher idea for just £30 - perfect as a Christmas present for the wine fans in your life. All tastings include at least seven wines, sourced locally so you can find them if you like them, tasting notes, a tutored presentation and use of professional ISO tasting glasses.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Thu 16th Jan 2020 at 7.00pm
Duration: 2 hrs
Venue: The Plough & Harrow, Harpenden