WSET Level 1 Course
WSET courses provide nationally-recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and other enthusiasts. The courses are examined and certificated within a QCA approved National Qualifications Framework
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines (NQF Level 1)
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines aims to provide the basic product knowledge and skills in the service and retail of wine to prepare a person for their first job in hospitality or retail. You can view the full Level 1 Course spec, with example questions, here.
This course is also a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to be introduced in a structured way to wine styles, storing and serving of wine and food and wine matching.
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine : Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties : Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties : Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named White Wines: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : At least 10 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Foundation Certificate Study Guide
- Duration of course : 1 day, or two weekday evenings, inclusive of examination
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
At the moment, no dates are planned for a venue-based Level 1 course. However, why not consider our 'on-line' option? If in doubt, please e-mail us to discuss if this qualification is the most suitable one for you.