NEW! Wine Tour of Austria
Five Day Tour to Austria 4th - 8th September 2019
- A guided tour of the Baroque masterpiece Esterhazy Palace and its Wine Museum
- The Erste Lage tasting at the magnificent Grafenegg Castle
- A river cruise on the Danube
- Visits and tastings at five wineries including the historic NIGL and Nikolaihof
- Accommodation in four star hotels
- Transport in a special ‘wine bus’ with English-speaking driver and the services of wine educator Christos Ioannou
Day 1: Wednesday 4th September
Arrival, Wine Accademy & Welcome Dinner
Meet at Vienna airport at 13.30 (to coincide with the British Airways flight from London). Group transfer by coach to Rust (1hour) for an introductory talk and tasting at the Austrian Wine Academy. Check-in to 4-star See Hotel (2 nights). Welcome dinner in a private room at the hotel’s restaurant with a selection of wines.
Day 2: Thursday 5th September
Burgenland and Esterhazy Palace
A drive around Lake Neusiedl to visit Umathum winery near the town of Frauenkirchen. Continue to the town for lunch at a local restaurant accompanied by white and red wine and also some luscious dessert wines from a local winery. After lunch drive back towards Rust and on to Eisenstadt to visit the magnificent Esterhazy Palace for a guided tour of this baroque masterpiece and a visit to its Wine Museum.
Day 3: Friday 6th September
Kremstal and Erste Lage Tasting
Check out of the hotel and drive past Vienna towards the wine regions of Wachau and Kremstal. Arriving at NIGL winery, which has a centuries old winemaking tradition and the remains of a 12th century castle, we will have a comprehensive guided tasting by the winemaker during lunch. This afternoon we head to the majestic Grafenegg Castle for a very special tasting – the ‘Erste Lage’ are a group of 35 top wineries from the Wachau region and they will all be showing a range of their wines in the magnificent surroundings of the castle. Late afternoon check-in at 4 star Steigenberger Hotel and Spa our base for the next 2 nights.
Day 4 Saturday 7th September
Wachau and History
Today we visit Nikolaihof winery who can trace their history back 2000 years. After a leisurely start we cross the river and make a brief stop at Gottwieg Abbey (which was founded in 1083) to enjoy the wonderful views over the River Danube. Continuing to Nikolaihof we have a tour in their ancient cellars and tasting followed by lunch with more wines. This afternoon head back over the river to Krems and the family winery of Rainer Wess for a tour and tasting.
Day 5 Sunday 8th September
After breakfast, check-out and drive to the pier to board MS Austria for a river cruise from Krems to Spitz (1 ½ hours). Arriving at Spitz we continue to the nearby winery of Maccherndl for a tour, tasting and ‘heurige-style’ lunch. Late afternoon transfer to Vienna Airport (1 ½ hours) in time for British Airways 19.10 flight to London Heathrow.
Please note that flights are not included in the cost of the tour so you will need to book your own travel to/from Vienna airport. The recommended group flights are with British Airways:
• Wednesday 4th September BA 700 departs London Heathrow 10.00 arrives Vienna 13.30
• Sunday 8th September BA 705 departs Vienna 19.10 arrives London Heathrow 20.30
Transfers by coach between Vienna airport and Rust/Krems are included and will tie in with the above flights. If you make alternative travel arrangements you will need to be at Vienna airport in time to meet the BA flight on 4th September. The tour will end at Vienna airport around 17.30 on 8th September. Travel throughout the tour will be in a comfortable, air-conditioned executive coach. The coach has 3 tables, a wine fridge, a coffee machine and toilet.
We will be based in 2 different towns for this tour, 2 nights in each. Both are four-star hotels with modern, air-conditioned rooms, w-ifi and spa/health facilities.
• £1,175 per person sharing a double or twin room.
• Ground transport throughout in a spacious, executive coach with English-speaking driver.
• Four nights’ accommodation with breakfast in 4-star hotels sharing a double or twin room with en-suite facilities.
• One dinner and four lunches with wine.
• Briefing & Tasting at The Austrian Wine Academy
• Tours and tastings at 5 wineries
• Ticket for the Erste Lage tasting at Grafenegg Castle
• Guided tour at Ersterhazy Castle & Wine Museum
• River Cruise between Krems and Spitz.
• Services of Tour/Wine Guide from Criterion Wine Tours.
• Single occupancy of a double/twin room (limited number of single rooms available): £150
A non-refundable deposit of £293.75 per person is payable when booking. The remaining balance is due eight weeks before the start of the tour. Your money will be held in a secure Client Deposit Account and is fully protected.
Places are limited so please e-mail us to register your interest in this tour and request a booking form.
Please Note : Hertfordshire Wine School is acting as an Agent for Criterion Wine Limited. The contract for the tour is between you and Criterion Wine Limited. For Terms & Conditions - please see the Booking Form.
Payment will be made to Criterion Wine Limited in accordance with the conditions on their Booking Form.