Online Introduction to Beer
Join 'The Beer Wrangler',Jonny Tyson, and learn about the world of beer, while tasting through six classics over two nights. Jonny, from our South London Wine School, is an Advanced Cicerone and Accredited Beer Sommelier who will take you on a fun beery journey on which you can ask questions along the way!
Get to grips with the fascinating world of beer on this two-week introductory course. Run over consecutive Thursday evenings in August, this is for people who enjoy beer and want to learn more, in a fun, friendly and relaxed setting, from the comfort of your own home.
At the end of the course you will :
• Be able to taste beer like a professional
• Be able to tell if a beer is faulty
• Understand the world’s classic beers
• Taste through some delicious beers of the world
13th August 7.30pm
Week 1 – Introduction to beer and ingredients - with three Classics of Continental Europe
This first session will cover the basics: How is beer made, the ingredients, flavour and profile. We will professionally taste three examples from a great selection and learn all about three European classics
Czech Pale Lager, German Hefeweizen, Belgian Dubbel/Brune.
20th August 7.30pm
Week 2 – Beer faults, Beer history & Craft beer revolution.
This evening we’ll move on to talk about what happens when beer goes bad, how to identify some common faults and the history of beer. We'll taste styles that have become popular as part of the craft beer movement, including a re-birth of an old London beer.
Porter, American-Style IPA, Hazy New England-style Pale Ale
So, join us on this two-week course and get to grips with some brilliant beer!
COURSE STRUCTURE AND FORMAT
Buy the six beers listed here, all of which are widely available at supermarkets, when you book your ticket. There are a number of options so don't worry, you should easily be able to find a beer that fits!
1. Czech Pale Lager - Budvar Original OR Pilsner Urquell
2. German Hefeweizen/Weissbier - Erdinger Weissbier OR Franziskaner Weissbier OR Maisel’s Weisse OR - Paulaner Weissbier
3. Belgian Dubbel/Brune - Leffe Brune OR Westemalle Dubbel OR Chimay Rouge (Red label)
4. Porter - Fullers London Porter OR Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Porter OR Guinness West Indies Porter OR Anchor Porter
5. American style IPA - Beavertown Lupuloid IPA OR Lagunitas IPA OR Camden Off Menu IPA OR Brewdog Punk IPA
6. Hazy/NEIPA - Thornbridge Jamestown New England IPA OR Brewdog Hazy Jane OR Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing IPA OR Thornbridge Green Mountain Hazy Vermont session IPA
Jonny will host each tasting session live and interactive at 7:30pm over two consecutive Thursdays. Each tasting session will be about 60 minutes in length. A few days before the first session you will be sent a link, with a code, to be able to join the online meeting. If you can’t commit to both evenings, you will have access to the video recordings of both sessions, so you can catch-up (or watch again) in your own time.
ONE £25 ticket will entitle everyone in your household to attend both tastings (no need to buy a ticket per person).
Places remaining: 5
Course Date/Time: Thu 13th Aug 2020 at 7.30pm
Duration: 2 x 1 hr